Prof. Klein has opened a course on academic writing as an elective module "Selected Chapters in Information Systems". The course is titled "Writing (and Finishing) the Thesis". It is open for PhD-students and now also for Master IS-students. There is a limited number of places. Please mind the dates of the course.
Here is the original announcement:
"Dr. Nathalie Mitev, King’s College London University and FB4 VIP, will return to Muenster to offer a PhD course on “Writing (and Finishing) the Thesis” as part of our PhD program.
· The craft of academic writing.
· Argumentation and audience.
· Writing the thesis in relation to the research process, the key activities and linkages of researching and writing, arguing and structuring of the thesis.
· Writing qualitative and quantitative research, generic structures and adaptations depending on different research methodologies.
· Writing techniques for the different sections of the thesis.
· Tips and advice on submitting and publishing papers in academic journals.
· Working with your supervisor, dealing with feedback, submitting the thesis, preparing the viva.
Murray, R. & Moore, S. (2006). The Handbook of Academic Writing: A Fresh Approach, Maidenhead: Open University Press.
Booth, W.C., Colomb, G.G. & Williams, J.M. (2008). The Craft of Research, Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
Becker, H.S. (1998). Tricks of the Trade - How to Think About Your Research While You’re Doing It, Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. Chapter 4: Concepts, pp. 109-144.
The course will run Oct. 4-5 and 11-12, 2018, Leonardo Campus 11, SR 9.
In case you are interested to participate: please register on LearnWeb (the course name is “Writing Lab”), where you will also find a detailed course description and references. For didactic reasons, no more than 20 participants can be admitted.
Dr. Stefan Klein
Professor for Interorganizational Systems
School of Business and Economics
University of Muenster, Germany"